The negative impact of Social Media
Have you ever wondered how social media impact our lives. Social media platforms allow their users to have conversations, share information, and also create web content. There are many forms of social media networking, including blogs, micro-blogs, wikis, social networking sites, photo sharing sites, instant messaging, video sharing sites, podcasts, widgets, virtual worlds, and more. Social media is a computer-based technological platform that facilitates the sharing of ideas. Social media is essential because it allows you to reach, nurture, and engage with your target audience. The first-ever recognized social media site “6 degrees Was”, founded in 1997 by Andrew Weinreichian. It also enables its users to upload a profile and make friends with other users.
Why social media is useful for us:
Social media can be a helpful tool for businesses bringing some advantages such as engaging with your audience and boosting website traffic. However, there can be disadvantages, including the resources required and negative feedback. Social media has seen to impact people on several grounds negatively; teens are the most adversely affected section of society.
Do you know what the impacts are?
- Give people a license to be hurtful: On every social site, we face a lot of criticism whether it’s something personal or a public post. Without knowing anything, people started to roast and be judgmental in someone’s opinion which causes harmful effects on other’s life, not only do they hurt seeing such things but also get traumatized, depressed, and demotivated. These things are increasing bullying and personal attacks. These shameful acts are impacting a lousy image of society.
- Decreases face-to-face communication skills: We are imprisoned in the boundaries of social media through which we communicate with our loved ones only on calls or messages. Some years back, people are less socially activated; they make time to know about each other’s problems and issues. They choose to visit their relatives and friends. That’s why they were emotionally attached as compared to this generation. Social media has limited us and has decreased our face-to-face communication which is also becoming an issue of lack of confidence as people only communicate through messages and don’t have such guts to talk face to face with the world.
- Causes distraction: When we have phones out, it makes us feel like nothing else is going on around us. We use social media as a way to feel famous, essential, and also just to fit in. We always compare ourselves to our friends, wondering who has more Facebook friends or Twitter followers. But what ends up happening is we begin to talk less and rely on text for conversation ever since we got a smartphone we have been distracted from everything.
- Addiction to social media: Addiction is prevalent and commonly seen not just in teenager but also in youth. People are crazy after these platforms. Their morning starts with social networking, and with it, their pathetic life is limited to the selection box.
- Cyberbullying: Cyberbullying is another significant disadvantage of social media. It is seen that a lot of youngsters have become a victim of casualties of cyberbullying.
- Hacking: Hacking is one of the most typical forms of cybercrime. That is seen nowadays. Social media has a significant contribution to the occurrence of this crime. This is because a lot of personal information of people like their name, photo, family members, mobile number, occupation, marital status, a play of stay, education, events of life, etc. can be easily seen on social media.
- Unauthentic information: As we know that not all the information provided by social media is not accurate, either it’s something religious, political, or someone’s personality. It merely becomes the news of the day. Without knowing the facts and figure people share and pass it on.
- Reputation: Social media can easily ruin someone’s reputation by creating a false story and spreading across the social media.
- Fraud and scams: Through many pages and advertisements, people have scammed and committed fraud through social media, especially von buying and selling products.
- Cheating and relationship issues: Unfortunately, just like unauthentic information, you can even meet fake people over social media. Most of the people used this platform to propose and marry each other, and after some time they turn to be wrong. I’m their decision and part ways. Similarly, couples have cheated by showing fake feelings and incorrect information.
However, there are always advantages and disadvantages for a thing as social media is too convenient for people. The more severe problem is many people utilized the power of social media to bully someone. A little bit then use it to do things against the law, which is a fool behavior. If we could use it smartly, having social media will become a good change for us.